Our exciting ‘Aspiring Futures’ programme is a core part of our curriculum offer at ALNS and is followed by all students. The course is delivered by the student’s tutors in one lesson a week over a two year period and has replaced traditional PSHEE. It has been planned to compliment and enhance the KS4 P4C (Philosophy for Children) course that our students also follow in KS4..
The aims of the course are for our students to;
- Develop better links with the local community through charity work.
- Be active global citizens by having the time and opportunities to address key issues.
- Be able to make informed decisions about their futures including college courses, careers, volunteering and gap year opportunities.
- Be better equipped with the knowledge and skills to be active citizens in our democratic society.
- Be more informed about social, moral and ethical issues that they may be effected by as teenagers so that they can make better choices.
- Be better prepared for their exams by following ‘Learning to Learn’ study skills units.
The course is constantly updated to reflect the needs of our students so that it is of most relevance and benefit to their lives which will enable them to be successful, responsible and active citizens of our country.
Topics covered include:
World’s Largest lesson
Risk taking and staying safe
Choice and Change
Politics and Law
Skills and Employment
Well man/Well woman
How to handle money
Prep for exams