For an overview of the pathways through the curriculum, please see our information page here.
Welcome to the
Food & Nutrition Department
The Design department has a vision that all students will strive to be confident when being creative in lessons and develop their own independent creative journey throughout KS3 and, if they choose, KS4.
Food and nutrition is an amazing subject for enabling students to develop both life skills and have practical exposure to theory taught in other subjects – time management, independence, creativity, scientific reactions, numeracy (costings, weighing out, portioning) and social skills are just a few examples of secondary skills developed in each practical cookery lesson your child has. Students will also develop their understanding of nutrition, food hygiene and safety, the functions of ingredients and food provenance.
At key stage 4 students build upon their skills to investigate the nutritional and functional characteristics of ingredients, scientific reactions and implement a range of skills in each recipe they create. Students currently (in year 11) complete the NCFE VCert qualification in Food and Cookery. This gives them the opportunity to be assessed by both portfolio work (combining written and practical assessment), as well as a written exam. In years 9 and 10 students are studying the GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition. This consists of 2 NEA's (Non-examined assessments), which include a practical assessment, as well as a written exam.
Click here to learn about how the Curriculum is planned, delivered and assessed in Design.
In Key Stage 4
Current year 11 students follow the NCFE VCERT Food and Cookery qualification.
Level 2 Food and Cookery – (601/4533/X)
Current year 9 and 10 students are following the OCR GCSE in Food Preparation and Nutrition
This KS4 course requires students to be assessed throughout the 2 years. This means that work that students complete in lessons throughout year 10 and 11 counts towards their final grade. They will be expected to complete both written and practical assessments and at the end of the course students are required to sit a written exam.
Students are required to produce 3 written portfolio’s of evidence to show their understanding of food ingredients, nutrition and hygiene and safety which supports their practical assessments. This is worth 75% of the overall qualification.
Students will sit one paper in year 11. The examination will be 2 hours and is worth 25% of the overall qualification. Learners will be expected to answer questions based on the theory taught throughout the 2 years.
Quality Teaching and Learning Entitlement
All students have the right to express and explore their creativity and are entitled to:
- A positive, safe, learning environment that encourages the development of Design skills and the sharing of work within a culture of mutual respect and shared responsibility
- Be actively engaged in their own learning whilst being challenged and motivated to take responsibility for their own development and take risks
- Experience well planned lessons which challenge them, provide clear assessment and regular Design opportunities whilst reflecting upon their own learning and development
- A personalised and independent creative journey in which they are able to learn from their mistakes and challenge ideas
- To experience a range of materials, techniques and Design practises to create ‘real’ outcomes
Design enables pupils to:
- Explore and develop confidence and self-esteem;
- Investigate ideas and record from reality;
- Develop higher thinking skills;
- Critique evaluate and adapt;
- Learn from the work of others to be able to explore and develop own ideas;
- Communicate through many different forms;
- Encourage creativity through tangible outcomes;
- Link into the world and community;
- Take responsibility for their own work, be able to take risks and be able to fail in a safe environment;
- Be involved in a creative process;
- Have a spectrum of experiences across all Design fields;
- To be able to develop literacy and numeracy within Design lessons in a practical environment.
@alnsdesigndepartment on Instagram
Error: Access Token for alnsdesigndepartment is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.