For an overview of the pathways through the curriculum, please see our information page here.
Welcome to the
Graphic Communications Department
The Graphics courses covers a range of activities and you will have the opportunity to experiment with different media such as drawing, painting, printing and photography in order to produce Graphics products based, branding, book and magazine illustration and more importantly investigating letter design through typography.
Graphics is only taught in year 8 on one rotation and students can opt to continue with it in years 9-11. Students will already have some experience of using the materials and processes, together with some knowledge of contemporary and historical art and design.
The main aim of Graphics is to develop your visual language skills and for you to build a comprehensive understanding of the relationship between the written word and visual language and how this impacts everyone one living in our modern world.
Click here to learn about how the Curriculum is planned, delivered and assessed in Design.
In Key Stage 4 students follow AQA's “Art & Design specification specialising in: Graphic communication.
At GCSE students will be assessed on the grade criteria from the exam board.
Controlled Assessment – 60%
During the course at KS4 students will learn techniques and processes based on a theme and/or artists. They will have guided starting points but independent work and research is encouraged for students to develop a personal style and response.
Exam – 40%
The exam at the end of the course is a practical exam that consists of approximately 20 hours of preparatory time and 10 hours (over two days) in the art room to produce the final outcome.
Develop ideas through investigations, demonstrating critical understanding of sources.
Refine work by exploring ideas, selecting and experimenting with appropriate media, materials, techniques and processes.
Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions as work progresses.
Present a personal and meaningful response that realises intentions and demonstrates understanding of visual language.
Quality Teaching and Learning Entitlement
All students have the right to express and explore their creativity and are entitled to:
- A positive, safe, learning environment that encourages the development of Design skills and the sharing of work within a culture of mutual respect and shared responsibility.
- Be actively engaged in their own learning whilst being challenged and motivated to take responsibility for their own development and take risks.
- Experience well planned lessons which challenge them, provide clear assessment and regular Design opportunities whilst reflecting upon their own learning and development.
- A personalised and independent creative journey in which they are able to learn from their mistakes and challenge ideas.
- To experience a range of materials, techniques and Design practises to create ‘real’ outcomes.
Design enables pupils to:
- Explore and develop confidence and self-esteem.
- Investigate ideas and record from reality.
- Develop higher thinking skills.
- Critique evaluate and adapt.
- Learn from the work of others to be able to explore and develop own ideas.
- Communicate through many different forms.
- Encourage creativity through tangible outcomes.
- Link into the world and community.
- Take responsibility for their own work, be able to take risks and be able to fail in a safe environment.
- Be involved in a creative process.
- Have a spectrum of experiences across all Design fields.
- To be able to develop literacy and numeracy within Design lessons in a practical environment.
@alnsdesigndepartment on Instagram
Error: Access Token for alnsdesigndepartment is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.