For an overview of the pathways through the curriculum, please see our information page here.
Welcome to the
The Design department has a vision that all students will strive to be confident when being creative in lessons and develop their own independent creative journey throughout KS3 and, if they choose, KS4. A successful Design student will always be able to explain ‘why’ not just ‘what’ they have done within projects. This will enable students to refine and modify their work to develop independently and to become more creative within the project set and beyond. Students will develop ways to manage workloads to ensure work is completed to their target levels/grades and take ownership of their work and own learning. Students will understand throughout KS3 the skills that are learnt in Design link to other subjects in school and will be able to apply skills from other subjects to their work in Design.
Click here to learn about how the Curriculum is planned, delivered and assessed in Design.
For GCSE Textile students follow AQA Art & Design: Specialising in Textiles.
Links to the exam board’s specifications can be found below:
KS3 are assessed on skills that are developed throughout the Design rotations and are based on 3 criteria;
- Researching and Developing
- Evaluating and Adapting
In each rotation students will be provided with the ‘Key point indicators’ that they must reach to be ‘On’ or ‘Above’ target.
At GCSE students will be assessed on the grade criteria from the exam board.
Controlled Assessment – 60%
During the course at KS4 students will learn techniques and processes based on a theme and/or artists. They will have guided starting points but independent work and research is encouraged for students to develop a personal style and response.
Exam – 40%
The exam at the end of the course is a practical exam that consists of approximately 20 hours of preparatory time and 10 hours (over two days) in the art room to produce the final outcome.
Develop ideas through investigations, demonstrating critical understanding of sources.
Refine work by exploring ideas, selecting and experimenting with appropriate media, materials, techniques and processes.
Record ideas, observations and insights relevant to intentions as work progresses.
Present a personal and meaningful response that realises intentions and demonstrates understanding of visual language.
Quality Teaching and Learning Entitlement
All students have the right to express and explore their creativity and are entitled to:
- A positive, safe, learning environment that encourages the development of Design skills and the sharing of work within a culture of mutual respect and shared responsibility.
- Be actively engaged in their own learning whilst being challenged and motivated to take responsibility for their own development and take risks.
- Experience well planned lessons which challenge them, provide clear assessment and regular Design opportunities whilst reflecting upon their own learning and development.
- A personalised and independent creative journey in which they are able to learn from their mistakes and challenge ideas.
- To experience a range of materials, techniques and Design practises to create ‘real’ outcomes.
Design enables pupils to:
- Explore and develop confidence and self-esteem.
- Investigate ideas and record from reality.
- Develop higher thinking skills.
- Critique evaluate and adapt.
- Learn from the work of others to be able to explore and develop own ideas.
- Communicate through many different forms.
- Encourage creativity through tangible outcomes.
- Link into the world and community.
- Take responsibility for their own work, be able to take risks and be able to fail in a safe environment.
- Be involved in a creative process.
- Have a spectrum of experiences across all Design fields.
- To be able to develop literacy and numeracy within Design lessons in a practical environment.
@alnsdesigndepartment on Instagram
Error: Access Token for alnsdesigndepartment is not valid or has expired. Feed will not update.
There's an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Please obtain a new Access Token on the plugin's Settings page.
If you continue to have an issue with your Access Token then please see this FAQ for more information.
Error: No posts found.
Make sure this account has posts available on instagram.com.